[iBook] Airport cards/alternatives

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Sun Nov 7 15:36:57 PST 2004

For those contemplating getting a D-link DWL-122 usb wireless adaptor
who may have heard of the many problems (and those who own one and have
been experiencing them already), I have a little information that may help.

I had enormous problems with the D-link adaptor I purchased - frequent
system crashes, connection issues, won't wake from sleep, etc. - even
after downloading the supposedly "updated" driver from the official
D-link support page.

However, just as I was on the verge of giving up, I came across a post
on a mac discussion group about an even newer driver that was posted on
the official D-link Singapore (as opposed to D-link U.S.) support site.

On further investigation, it turned out that the driver on the Singapore
page is a much newer version (1.4.7 versus 1.3.2, I think) that for
whatever reason has not yet been added to the U.S. site. I downloaded it
and installed it, making sure to de-install the old one first, and I can
now report that it works beautifully, with no problems whatsoever
thusfar. I've had no crashes (!!), it automatically connects (after
10-15 seconds) on waking, and the connection is solid and consistent.

If anything changes, I'll report back. The download is at:

http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/support.asp?pid=175#drivers

Let me know how you fare if you try it...

--

/  dave  /