[ibook] Airport works while lid closed?

Tom Legare Tom.Legare at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 16:51:25 PST 2004

I have an original Airport Base Station hooked up to Comcast cable
service, and we are running a few devices, all with 802.11b:

      - ibook 500
      - Windows 2000 laptop
      - 2 gaming consoles (using external ethernet wireless adaptors)

I'm having trouble with lag when online gaming, and after tracing the
problem extensively, the problem seems to be more with my wireless
network than anywhere else.    I will get very "bursty" response,
meaning that 80% of the time I don't have any lag, and then 20% of the
time I get huge lag.

For the windoze laptop I just pop out the wireless card when I'm not
using it, otherwise that thing collects viruses in spite of all the
spyware protection I have on it

For the iBook I just close the lid.

My question.... when the iBook is closed, is the airport card still
transmitting?  I know that the optical external USB mouse that is
attached keeps its laser beam on, so at a minimum the USB port is still
powered.

Thanks,

Tom