[iBook] G4 PB or iBook?

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Sun Nov 14 10:39:19 PST 2004

For me, the advantage of a PB over an iBook would be the ability to use PC
Cards with the PB, as well as using the dual monitor feature.

That said, I opted for an iBook rather than a PB when I got a new Mac
several months ago. Adding the Airport card negated the need for the PC Card
slot. I think the PB will take more memory, but the new iBooks can take up
to an additional 1GB, and that's more than enough for web browsing, e-mail
and word processing. If I was going to be doing a lot of video and audio
editing, I'd probably opt for the PowerBook to add cards to help with those
tasks.

If money had been no object, I'd have gotten a 15" PB with the backlit
keyboard, but the 14" iBook is working just fine.

And while I know that it's not exactly Apples to Apples, so to speak, I feel
like the iBook is going to stand up to being toted back and forth to school
and home better than my 15" TiBook would have. It just feels a little more
substantial. (I imagine the new PBs have solved the flaking paint problems
(which I had) and the cracked hinge problems (which I didn't.))

Or, maybe, I'm on crack. ;-)