[iBook] ibook overheats+crashes. apple did not fix it

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Wed Nov 17 19:09:56 PST 2004

stef wrote:

> my ibook G4 [OS 10.3.6] has been having this issue that it gets really
> warm on the lower left side [warmer than usual] and when this happens
> many applications start crashing/quitting [even the finder, the dock ,
> safari]
> when it gets really hot then if I reboot I get the gray startup screen
> hanging forever. no spinning wheel - just there the gray screen and
> Apple logo.
>
> if i leave the ibook off for a bit once it cools off it acts normally.

A couple of wild guesses:

	10.3.6 has been said to give trouble with (seemingly) random computers.
	Has this started happening since you upgraded to .6?

	Doing heavy work (iMovie, GarageBand) can make the processor heat up,
	but the fans should kick in. Do you hear the fans whooshing?

	Where are you using the iBook when this happens? Placing the computer
	on a soft surface like a bed (or a lap if your legs aren't bony) can
trap heat.

Another thing to try... when it starts getting hot, unplug power if
it's plugged in, and close the lid to put it to sleep. That should let
it cool down without you having to worry about losing work in progress.

Hope you get it fixed!

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."