[iBook] Hello, I am new to the list.

S. Douglass sloppyagape at christian.net
Sun Oct 3 15:30:04 PDT 2004

on 10/03/2004 5:20 PM, Larry Kollar at kollar at alltel.net wrote:

> JFL wrote:
>
>> Superficially, the smooth white shell is a little too easy to scratch,
>> so I hope you got one that's pristine.
>
> Add :-) liberally...
>
> Bah! Scratches and scuffs are love marks, IMO. It means you care enough
> about your iBook to take it with you wherever you go, to involve it in
> your life.
>
> "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are made for."
>
> --
> Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
> "The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."
> -- Paul Tyson, on xml-doc

My Duo 280c was battered. Scratches, a few chips, a corner got cracked, one
could look at it and know it had seen better days. And for it's life, it was
rock solid. People said the Duos were fragile. My Duo proved them wrong. It
was my constant companion, stuffed into my backpack, along with books, video
tapes, and one time a load of groceries. It got dropped. Thumped. Had a
stereo speaker fall on it. It rolled down the stairs one time like a Slinky.
One time, it was sitting on the kitchen counter minding it's own business
when somebody tossed me a can of corn. They over shot... And I missed... And
the can of corn landed squarely in the middle of the Duo's keyboard. Smacked
it so hard that the trackball assembly popped loose, sending the tiny little
8 ball I had for a track ball bouncing around the kitchen. The only thing
that happened was that it stopped playing the flying toaster display and
returned to the desktop. Probably a bit disturbed and cranky for being awoke
in such a rude manner. Friends said my Duo was a case study in abuse, and
everything you should never do with an Apple Powerbook.

It finally suffered some sort of motherboard failure. One day, it just
refused to power up. And it would have cost more to fix it then I had paid
for it.

Other then it finally giving up the ghost at the end, it never faltered,
never failed, and never ever let me down. Windows using people around me
marveled at my tiny, and I do mean tiny, battered little Duo. This was, hmm,
around the time that people thought 10 and 11 pound Dell notebooks were
portable. I could hear people gasp at the library when I would toss it in
with my books. And I mean gasp... The loud hissing kind of gasp.

I can only hope my iBook is half as tough as it's great great Grandfather.
Life is messy and dangerous. Stuff happens. And I don't have time to coddle
a computer, I need it to work, no excuses, no sick days.