[iBook] New to the list

David Binnion davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Oct 4 05:45:12 PDT 2004

On 10/3/04 9:30 PM, "jack law" <johnrlawjr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is my first
> machine with OS X -- version 10.2.8. with 328 memory.
> I guess the first thing that I want to do is upgrade
> the memory and it seems a good place to buy memory was
> mentioned in a previous post.  My first question is
> how do you hook an IBook up to a video projector?  Is
> it possible? What hardware do you need to buy? Also, I
> saw some discussion on the best OS X system to use on
> a G3 Ibook.  Any further insights?  My final questions
> concern battery life:  How long should I be able to
> operate on a fully charged battery?  Does performance
> degrade overf time and what effects does operating on
> a wireless network have on battery life?
> Are there any other Ibook issues that a newbie should
> be aware of?

The dual USB iBook has a video out that requires a VGA dongle. The same
dongle is used for the G4 iMac and I think Apple still sells them. Email me
privately - I think I still have my spare and I'll certainly offer it for
less than Apple does.

Jag is perfectly usable but if you can afford it certainly move to Panther -
or wait a (few?) months for Tiger. As I recall it most of the complaints
about Jaguar had to do with a few updates that caused trouble or OS 9 users
who are still moaning about OS X not being just like OS 9 but better.

Battery life on a new battery should be between 2.5 and 4 hours depending on
which applications you are using, and how careful you are. I regularly got
between 2.5 and 3.5 hours and that is Jag/Panther with airport and Office
which isn't battery friendly. The battery does degrade over time - how much
depends on your usage. Some people report noticeable degradation after one
year and others report near full usage after 2+ years. Personally, I notice
a difference around 18 months and generally buy a new battery soon after.
Airport seems to shave 20-30 minute off of my use.

david