[iBook] making a mountable Disk Image of my whole hard drive -- easiest way?

David Binnion davidwb at spymac.com
Tue Oct 12 07:51:09 PDT 2004

On 10/12/04 10:24 AM, "Don Hinkle" <donhinkle at mac.com> wrote:

>> Carbon Copy Cloner should do what you want.  I used to use it for
>> backups, but it really isn't suited to that task.  However, it does
>> make very nice, bootable copies of a drive without problems.
>>

> Prithee please tell what's wrong with CCC for backups? I've been using
> it that way to back up to a FW external drive and haven't noticed any
> limitations?

Nothing wrong with using CCC for backups - it will do the job quite well.
But even if you made a change to only one file in your backup set, CCC backs
up everything. Many of us prefer a backup system that only backs up what has
changed since the last backup. I created a mirror image of my PowerBook
using SuperDuper and since then use Deja Vu to update the changes daily. My
initial cloning took about an hour, the daily updates take about 5 minutes.

david