[iBook] Re: HD Replacement

William Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Tue Oct 12 18:22:23 PDT 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 4:14 AM,
ibook-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> I have the same ibook as you, and when I went into an Apple dealer they
> suggested an external firewire case with as fast an HD as you can
> afford.  He said I could replace the internal HD, and go from 4200 (I
> think) rpm to 5400, but with an external firewire setup I could use the
> faster drives.

I had to replace my HD recently.  I went with the 30 GB IBM model.   I
considered a faster drive but they suck more power and generate more
heat.

As for the external Firewire, I ran off my backup Firewire for a month
while making up my mind.

I foolishly ran the upgrade to 10.3.5 and it munged my backup.

So, I wouldn't recommend that strategy.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.
--Patrick Henry