[iBook] dead screen

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Fri Oct 22 06:24:33 PDT 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 10:04 PM, Joe Roberts wrote:

> Sounds like the famous iBook logic board problem many of us had.
>
> http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/
>
> --Joe!
>
> On Oct 21, 2004, at 9:58 PM, J Patrick Draine wrote:
>
>> Friends,
>> I've been enjoying my G3 900 MHz iBook for about 1.25 years, but it
>> has just gone lame on me. My wife was using it at the time;
>> apparently the screen flashed several times and then went dead. It
>> *sounds* like it starts up (HD sounds etc) but no life from the
>> screen. I had never any use for the video out bridge, but I tried
>> using it and it provides no signal to the exterior monitor.
>> Before I call AppleCare (or take it up to the local Apple Store) what
>> is the best procedure to access the iBook HD, for purposes of cloning
>> it to an external FW drive before sending it in for service?
>> Thanks,
>> Patrick Draine

Patrick:
Looks like you're going to get a new logic board from Apple!

Now, to answer your question: Is there another Mac that you can connect
to with a FireWire cable? If so, put your iBook in "target mode" and
the other Mac will treat it as an external HD. Then, just transfer your
files. If you want to transfer everything, use Carbon Copy Cloner.

To startup in target mode, shut down the iBook; connect it to the other
Mac (you don't have to shut it down); startup the iBook and hold down
the "T" key. If your display was working, you'd see the firewire symbol
bouncing around your screen to indicate success. You should, however,
be able to see the HD icon on the desktop of the other Mac.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I've been hoping my logic board would go, since mine is covered
under the extended replacement plan and I could get a couple of other
things fixed at the same time (perhaps free). But alas..... it just
keeps on going, and going, and going....

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)