[iBook] Airport cards/alternatives

Barnard Madsen bmadsen at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 22:04:56 PDT 2004

I got my wife a Belkin USB wireless adapter for her "Lombardi"
PowerBook.  She's running OS 9.1, and sometimes her computer freezes
when she's using it.  I think it may be because she's using an old
operating system.  We both use a Belkin 802.11b four-port wireless
router.  It's been carefree with my dual-USB iBook 500.  I got them
both at CompUSA -- the router for $49.95 (with rebate), and the USB
adapter for $19.95 (with rebate).  The Belkin beats the heck out of
shelling out $199 for an AirPort.  Plus, it's got four ports, so our
two desktop Macs can connect via Ethernet cables.  The range is good,
too -- the router's in the basement at one end of our house and its
coverage extends to the kitchen upstairs at the other end of the house
(about 100 feet away).  It's fairly easy to set up through a web
interface.  I strongly recommend the Belkin router.  Not sure about the
USB adapter because I haven't used it with my iBook (got used and had
an Airport built in).

Barney Madsen