[iBook] ibook battery

Brandon M. Bost bmbost at joimail.com
Wed Oct 27 06:04:11 PDT 2004

On 10/27/04 7:37 AM, "Roger Wise" <rogerlou at dnsonline.net> wrote:

> I purchased this ibook dual usb in June of 2001. Am using OS 9.2.
> After 6 months of use, this ibook was set up as a desktop computer.
> It has been plugged in every since that time. The other day I took it
> into another room to download some files from my wife's imac. It only
> lasted about 15 minutes on the battery. I just got it back before it
> shut down. My question is that I purchased a extra battery when I
> purchased this computer. Will this battery that is over three years
> old still work or should I purchase new battery? Sorry about the
> length of this email.

If you haven't used that extra battery, it should work find.  If I remember
right, the storage life for a battery is somewhere around 3 years before it
starts degrading.  Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone will
rebuke me at some point in time :-P

Have you tried resetting the PMU?  There's a little button right beside the
headphone/AV jack that you can stick a pen at.  Pressing that in resets the
power management unit, but it also resets your clock.  Try that and then do
a full battery recalibration (full charge, full discharge, full recharge)
just to see if that helps with the battery you've got.

Brandon M. Bost