[iBook] interesting HD behaviour

Matthew Faulds mattfaulds at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 10:06:19 PDT 2004

Hi Angus

I'm not an expert but that sounds similar to the trouble I had recently with
my G4 ibook. My ibook would pause frequently to think about stuff and the
disk would whir intermittently until it unfroze. It eventually (after about
1 week) started crashing and refusing to boot most of the time.

When I checked the disk via several utilities they could find nothing wrong.
Eventually I noticed that disk utility reported the SMART status as
"failing". Unfortunately I hadn't backed up but I immediately got a firwire
disk and managed to salvage my data.

My ibook was in warranty and Appl replaced the disk. UPS allowed it to be
stolen in transit so I'm waiting to get a replacement at the moment! Hope
that might be useful.

Matt Faulds