[iBook] OS X 10.2.8 update problem

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Mon Sep 20 10:41:28 PDT 2004

Okay, this is kind of a long story, but I thought I'd see if someone
had some insight for me.  I updated my iBook to OS 10.2 on the weekend
with no problems... at first.  I then ran the combo 10.2.8 update and
installed some software.  Everything was working fine.  Then the stupid
thing happened.  I wanted to change my short name in the Accounts
portion of System Preferences.  I couldn't find any way that it would
let me do this.  I then logged in as root thinking this would let me
change the short name.  It still wouldn't allow me to change it, so I
decided to create a new Admin User account and delete the one I
couldn't change.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but when I
logged back in, a lot of my programs wouldn't run without errors.

I decided I had messed something up, and decided to start from scratch
and reinstalled OS 10.2 (Archive and install).  However, now it won't
let me run the 10.2.8 combo update.  It says it encountered errors
while trying to install, and to please try again.  Nothing will make it
work.  I even tried reinstalling 10.2 again with no luck.  the update
will not run.  What could be wrong here?  I've tried repairing
permissions, and that did not help.  What am I missing?
Thanks for any help.
Dave