[iBook] ibook/airport reception issue

Matthew Faulds mattfaulds at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 05:50:06 PDT 2004

I had a 800mhz G4 ibook and a 466 clamshell running on the same airport
extreme network and I noticed a marked difference in their airport
reception. We generally use our laptops in a room approx 5-6 metres from the
base station with a thick brick/stone wall in between. The clamshell
persistently had better reception; the G4 ibook was particularly susceptible
to positional changes (if the reception was lost it could often be recovered
by simply turning the ibook a few degrees) but it would often refuse to
rediscover the network until taken right next to the base station.

After a little testing the clamshell turned out to have roughly twice the
range and 25% better signal strength. I couldn't find anything wrong and
presumed it was simply the design of the antenna in the G4. Has anyone else
been able to directly compare ibooks/powerbooks' aiport reception?

I'm now waiting for a 14" 1.2ghz ibook and hoping that it will have better
reception.

Matt