[iBook] Strange problem with Clamshell iBook

COCCORP at aol.com COCCORP at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 04:06:52 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/29/2005 10:33:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rlnewmanitools at mac.com writes:

> Have a 300 Mhz clamshell iBook with 160 mb and a 10 gig HD running OS X
> Jaguar.  With a good battery installed, when you press the on button
> the computer shows no sign of life.  When you plug in the AC adapter it
> boots, and then you can unplug the AC adapter and it will run for 5+
> hours on the battery, and it seems to charge up O.K.  But when you shut
> it down, it looses the date and time, and will not start up again
> without help from the AC adapter.  Also I noticed that the ring around
> the AC in port changes from Green to Orange, and back continuously,
> even when the computer is shut down and no AC adapter is plugged in.
> Anybody ever see anything like this?

Hi; I was just clearing out some old e-mails and I came across this one;
don't know how I missed it... has anyone responded to your inquiry?

Anyway, to your problem: What I would do first is to reset the Power Manager
and see if that solves the problem, by sticking an elongated paperclip in the
little hole above the Power botton.

Also - even though the ibook does not have a pram battery - I would try the
ol' Apple/Cmd-Option-P-R hand sign just for good measure.

Short of either of those tricks, perhaps the "charger board"  - the board w/
the battery contact pins - needs replacing. If charging was a problem also,
and the reset/pram tricks did not work I would be sure that was the problem...

Lettuce know, and good luck,

Craig W.
Atlanta, GA
Power corrupts. Absolute power's a blast. ­- John Fund