[iBook] changing default programs

Miche Doherty miche at beeb.net
Tue Apr 5 09:16:03 PDT 2005

On 5 Apr 2005, at 4:00 pm, Russ Edwards wrote:

> I would like to change my default video player to VLC.  Ideally I
> would like to just change my computer so that when I click on an AVI,
> or Mpeg file VLC would start.

In the Finder, select a file with the extension .avi and choose Get
Info from the File menu. In the Info window that opens, look for the
words "Open with:" and a drop-down menu which will probably say
"QuickTime Player (default)". Choose VLC from this menu. Now click on
the "Change All..." button and confirm your choice in the resulting
dialogue box.

Now all AVI files should open in VLC when double-clicked. Repeat for
other extensions -- .mpg, .mpeg -- as desired.

Miche.