[iBook] Wegener Media...devil or angel?

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Mon Apr 18 10:19:34 PDT 2005

At 8:33 AM +0100 4/18/05, Malcolm Cornelius wrote:
>  >>
>>>  Why not put in a 60gb HD? can your iBook use 512mb ram? if so, do it!
>>>  (you won't regret it) ;-)
>>
>>  This would be maxed with regard to RAM...256 in the slot is all it will see,
>>  bringing total RAM to 288. (32MB on logic board)
>
>Clams see a 512 chip without problem.
>
>>  60GB HD would be nice but I wonder about newer HDs and heat buildup. Also, I
>>  understand that the OS needs to be in the first 8GB
>
>Not on a Clam.

For a given size of HD the power usage (and therefore heat) doesn't
increase with size.  It is typically higher with a higher performance
drive but that is relative to it's contemporaries.  You simply can't
keep increasing the power a drive draws, it will overheat regardless
of case cooling.  If you are concerned about heat then avoid 7200 RPM
drives would be my best recommendation.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA