[iBook] Any almost free dialup ISP's left?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Sun Apr 24 17:43:48 PDT 2005

David Linker wrote:

> I have been using Access4free for on-the-road dial-up access about 2-3
> times/year, since my ISP (Comcast) does not provide dial-up. ...
>
> I just received an email that after June 1 they will discontinue the
> service. They recommend switching to Earthlink, but that will mean that
> I will pay a monthly charge even when I am not using the service.
>
> Any other good free/almost free/pay-as-you-go services out there that
> are mac OS X usable in the US?

My advice would be to forget the dialups and look for free wireless
access.
Even cheap hotels offer it now. I live in an "out of the way" area, and
found
two open points in the retail district -- one at a Super8 motel, the
other near
a Sonic where my son works. I assume opening the access points was a
deliberate act; the one by the Sonic is named "CIVIL."  Hotels probably
leave
their hubs open because it's just less hassle for the front desk.

Earlier iBook listers have suggested these sites as a place to start
hunting
for access:

	http://www.freeap.com/
	http://www.jiwire.com/

Good luck!
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."