[iBook] iPhoto crashing -- Cocktail helped!

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sat Aug 6 15:53:31 PDT 2005

There are a few ways that you can do this. First a little background.

Chatting works by using protocols. These are agreed methods of
communicating. Think of them like languages. Some are
MSN, AOL, Yahoo. There is also an open protocol called Jabber that
has been developed by volunteers. This is in my opinion the best. the
reason for this, is that all of the proprietary protocols (eg. the
first 3 I listed) want you to use their client (i.e. MSN wants you to
use MSN messenger) They constantly change their protocols in subtle
ways to try to block out 3rd party clients.

a couple of options:

1) Use Adium. this is a chat client for mac that supports several
protocols (all of those mentioned here). It doesn't support audio/
video chat. I've found it excellent.

2) another option, is to use Jabber. I love jabber. Anyone on any
computer can use Jabber for instant messaging (IM), and it is, and
will always, be free (as in freedom). Also, a fantastic feature of
jabber, is it's ability to connect to other IMs. I connect to MSN
through Jabber, and so I can chat to friends on MSN using iChat.
(although, I use Adium, because I think it's better.)

anyway, I hope this is clear, feel free to email with questions..

cheers,
-Gus