[iBook] MCE Combo drive upgrade for G3 iBooks?

Ben Chong bluesky6 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 13 16:28:40 PDT 2005

Hi Roger,

This is a brand new Apple-branded combo drive that is intended to
upgrade early dual USB iBooks (like my 500MHz).

Today, I got fed up of waiting for a response from MCE and decided to
check out if the drive works in IDE slave mode.

I have a spare PC with a notebook-type DVD drive so I could use the
IDE adaptor to connect to the MCE drive.

On booting the PC, it reported that the combo drive was an IDE master.

I took some pictures and will email them to MCE's tech support. If I
don't hear anything from them, I'm going to do something very nasty.

Ben