[iBook] 7200rpm drive for ibook G4

Steve H Jones shjones at hywyn.plus.com
Wed Dec 7 10:14:10 PST 2005

Hi!
  I need advice on 7200 drives in ibook G4's (1gig, 512Kb cache)
particularly the Seagate Momentus 8Mbyte cache 100 gig drive.
I'll be using the set-up for music applications trying to squeeze as
much as possible out of it!
I know one would expect performance to increase, but since the CPU and
memory subsystems also work harder, I wonder how much heat is
generated.
How much Is the 8mb buffer a factor? I read a report from someonoe who
had the same model ibook as I with an Hitachi 7200mb (but 2mbyte cache)
who had an extra 15% Power consumption, significantly better
performance but a much warmer ibook,

An interesting article is here:
http://www.barefeats.com/hard56.html

Any advice very much appreciated!