[iBook] cd burner

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Sat Dec 24 14:49:43 PST 2005

Had the same problem with my 14" G3 900 (new Aug 03; not the combo drive).  It didn't do it all the time, but kept doing it more and more over a period of maybe six months. It would read a CD and DVD OK. Fiddled with it, downloaded and installed new burn software, no change. Finally got within range of an Apple store and they diagnosed it as a bad drive (went off 1-yr warranty about 9 months earlier) and gave me a choice of purchase of a new internal drive or of an external drive off the shelf. I declined both since I didn't need the DVD burn capability, bought an inexpensive external drive which came with Toast for about $100, much cheaper than the extended warranty would have been. Much faster than the internal drive.

We'll see what other experiences come in.

Fred