[iBook] Living large

Michael Max L.Ac michael at maxmedicine.net
Mon Dec 26 22:49:44 PST 2005

I so love the portability of my iBook 12" G4. Love it!!
But, I do get tired of the small amount of screen real estate. Previously I
owned a Powerbook 15", that display gave me room to stretch out a bit.

Today I thought I'd pick up on a 17" LCD monitor that was on sale at my
local house o'computers. Got a ViewSonic VA712b. Nice unit, has both digital
and analog inputs. Nice and bright and I can hook it up to my DVD player and
watch movies too. What's not to like?

What's not to like is that while everything is bigger, I don't have any
additional "real estate", which is what I was hoping for. Seems I can only
take the resolution up to 1024x768. Which means it is the same as my iBook.
Which doesn't net me any great benefit, except a lighter wallet.

I tried the ViewSonic website and they said some things about using
colorsych, but that did not help (of course)

Next, I tried to get this question at the ViewSonic help line. The way they
told me they don't support Mac's was by putting me on hold I gave up.

I have a suspicion I'm not going to get a higher resolution on the monitor
than I have on my iBook.

However, if anyone would know of a way. I think it would be the clever
people on this group. So? Any ideas on increasing the resolution on the
monitor? Actually it would be great if I could even have the monitors work
side by side. I remember years ago I got the Batman powerbook to do that.

If anyone can help me, the local house o'computers would be much obliged, as
I will not then be returning this otherwise lovely 17" LCD monitor.

Thanks in advance
Michael