[iBook] Rubber Piece ripped out of CD/DVD drive g4 ibook - now not working

gordens gordens at cox.net
Tue Dec 27 04:30:54 PST 2005

Hi.  I have a 933 14" g4 ibook with a cd/dvd slot drive.  It's a
matshita - came with the ibook.
Anyway - last night I tried to insert a CD which came with a camera
(windows CD).  The CD drive accepted the CD, but didn't' recognize
it.  When I tried to eject it using the ejection key - it didn't
budge.  I heard no noises.
I restarted the ibook and held the track pad button down to manually
eject and it would try to eject the CD - but then would pull it back in.
The 2nd time it tried to spit the CD out - I grabbed a hold of the CD
and tried to pull it out.  When I did this- I tore off about a 1/2"
piece of a black foam pad that I assume is part of the gripping
mechanism for drawing the CD in.  Now the drive will not accept/draw
in a CD at all.

Before I call apple - anyone else done this?  I was wondering if
anyone had thoughts on replacing this piece - or will I need to
replace the entire CD/DVD drive?  The Ibook - is past the 1 year
warranty. TIA