[iBook] Re: Used Software/Piracy?

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Feb 1 14:37:44 PST 2005

It depends where you live. Many cds now include copy protection that
tries to prevent you making duplicate copies (even for personal use).
If you're lucky enough to live in the USA, then (my understanding is
that) it's illegal for you to

a) circumvent this copy protection
b) attempt to circumvent this copy protection
c) write software that could be used to circumvent this copy
protection, even if that's not the primary (or intended) function of
the software

This is part of the draconian legislation included in the Digital
Millenium Copyright Act (DCMA). There's lots of info about it on the
net.

If you feel this is ridiculous, why not write to your local member of
parliament/congress (whatever it's called over there)?

HTH,
-Angus