[iBook] yo-yo repair

SW sw at carolina.rr.com
Fri Feb 4 07:12:17 PST 2005

On Feb 4, 2005, at 9:08 AM, fastusminimus wrote:
> Speaking of yo-yos...does anyone have a source for replacement plugs?
> The join between the plug and the wire is a weak point (I have several
> dead ones...)  and I'd like to be able to fix the old ones rather than
> buying yet another one.

  Speaking of fixing these plugs, I just spent last night working on two
of them. These are numbers 3 and 4 that have died on me due to a
breaking wire near the connector.

  I have not been able to find a similar plug anywhere with that metal
sleeve around a mini plug, however in my disassembly I learned a few
things.

  The little plug is a normal, mini stereo plug (ring,tip,sleeve) but
only uses 2 wires in it(ring, sleeve). The metal sleeve was not
connected to anything. I had thought that it might be a ground.

  I was able to cut away the plastic and then separate the metal sleeve
from it's collar. Then after connecting new wires, I put the collar and
sleeve back on and cover the whole thing with shrink tubing and tape,
making sure to have enough stress relief.
  I now have 2 slightly less attractive, but fully functional power
supplies.

  I was considering making the plug without the sleeve, if I was unable
to save it. I think it was designed that way for safety. Neither the
tip, nor the sleeve, the parts you would come in contact with, have any
power running through them, and the sleeve probably ensures that the
plug goes in straight.

  Using it without a sleeve, you would try not to touch the two contacts
that have power and be careful when inserting the plug, to prevent
shorting the contacts.

Steve
Can't use a soldering iron to save my life.....

Ketterling's Law: Logic is an organized way of going wrong with
confidence.