[iBook] Re: yo-yo repair

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 09:58:52 PST 2005

SW <sw at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>  I was considering making the plug without the sleeve, if I was unable
>to save it. I think it was designed that way for safety. Neither the
>tip, nor the sleeve, the parts you would come in contact with, have any
>power running through them, and the sleeve probably ensures that the
>plug goes in straight.
Exactly so. And leaving off the sleeve will likely cause two other
problems. First is that, because of the way the 'Books internal power
contacts are arranged, any angular movement of the plug relative to its
socket can cause the power connection to be interupted. Secondly, without
the support of the sleeve, any angular movement of the plug relative to
its socket can _damage_ the socket.

I came to these conclusions while building a TiBook/dualUSB-iBook sized
plug from scratch. It worked fine, but seriously not worth the bother,
let me assure you.

As for replacement plug sources, the only additional suggestion I have is
to buy an airline adapter. These are just a cord with an airline Empower
(sp??) plug on one end and the 'Book plug on the other end. These usually
cost $30 or so, but I've seen them sell for as little as ~$10-$15, a bit
cheaper than another complete AC adapter would cost.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500