[iBook] Video conf on iBooks

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sun Feb 27 14:50:34 PST 2005

> I hate to have so many IM programs installed and running at once.
> Somebody
> should make just ONE that is compatible with all of them and supports
> the
> voice and video features :)

Unfortunately, this is difficult. None of the proprietry protocols want
to encourage people not to use their client. All the protocols are
different, and as they release new clients, they often deliberately try
to break the 'free' clients.

'fire' (http://fire.sourceforge.net/) is a client that supports many
different protocols, but unfortunately not for voice/video
conferencing.

There is an open-source protocol called jabber
(http://www.jabber.org/), but I don't know if it supports voice/video.
Clients exist for most/all operating systems (Mac, Lin, Win at least).
Fire supports Jabber.

HTH,
-Angus