[iBook] The great Windows - Mac migration

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jan 12 17:30:13 PST 2005

On 1/12/05 7:53 PM, "Jean-Paul Thuot" <fearsome.orange at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I finally convinced my wife that Mac was the way to go.  I snuck
> out of work early the other day and bought her a 1Ghz iBook and loaded
> up the RAM.  I took it home, and she was thrilled.
>
> However, three days later she's still tapping away on her old Windows
> notebook.  Why?  "All my stuff is on this one!"
>
> Fair enough.  I could just share out the Windows machine over the
> network and pull all her documents and whatnot over, but I'm wondering
> if there's a faster way.  Can I plug a USB cable into the two of them
> and do it that way?  Any suggestions as to how best to do this?  I
> would love to hear from people who have made the migration, and
> anything they learned in the process that would help make my wife's
> landing as soft as possible.

There are a number of ways to do this. It rather depends on how much data
you are dealing with. USB isn't how you want to do it.

1) flash drive - you can pick them up pretty darn cheap. Hey, get an iPod
Shuffle and you not only get a flash drive but a music player too! :-)

2) .Mac account. Many don't realize you can log on with a Windows machine as
well as the Mac.

3) Ethernet file sharing

David