[iBook] Re: replacement drive for dual usb ibook 500

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 12:05:04 PST 2005

On 1/19/05 3:44 AM ibook-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
>Does anyone know which drive, brand and model number apple used in the
>dual usb ibook g3?
>It looks like my cd ROM drive bit the bullet and I want to replace it
>with a drive 100% compatible. I would also like a drive I can have the
>plastic silver plate put back on easily without any modification.
>An Apple branded replacement drive is insanely expensive hence my
>search.

I've got a page listing most of those drives' infos:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/opti_upgrades.html>

If you just want to replace the original with the same you should have no
trouble finding a used mechanism. Heck, I've got laying about at least
two (3 maybe?) CR177 CD drives left over from iBook upgrades. Used these
aren't worth much, say ~US$15-30.

However, since you're going to the not inconsiderable bother of opening
up your iBook, I'd suggest laying out a little bit more cash for a CD/RW
or a CD/RW/DVD combo drive. I put an old Matshita SR-8174 DVD-ROM
mechanism (from a Pismo) in a 500, and a DVD-R/W (Toshiba IIRC) in an
opaque 700.

Both mechanisms still have their flat OEM face plates, not all that
attractive IMO. On the 700/DVD-R I ended up making a simple face cover
out of a strip of 3/8" white polycarb, shaping it to match the contours
of the iBook's edge, and attached it with some double-sided tape. It was
easy to make and looks pretty good, you'd never notice it isn't stock
unless you examined it closely.

eBay prices for new drives are very affordable, CD/RWs cost ~$30-70,
combo drives ~$50-100. Pricing variations are usually based on mechanism
speeds, faster obviously costs more. Make sure any drive you may get does
include at least a flat OEM-style face, they're nearly impossible to
source separately. Also be aware you'll most likely not be able to use
the original iBook faceplate, there are too many variations. Apple will
not officially supply original iBook replacement faces to end users
(#^%&* things apparently need special permission to order!), though you
may get lucky through a sympthetic local dealer.

hth,

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700