[iBook] Re: Used Software/Piracy?

William Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Thu Jan 20 19:03:05 PST 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 6:12 PM,
ibook-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> I don't think you would walk up to my car, break the window, and rip
> out my
> stereo. Why would you in any way try to condone the digital equivalent?
>
> david

Imagine this.   In the future, it becomes possible to use
nanotechnology to duplicate any thing you already have.

Drop a pocketwatch into a vat of nanobots in oil.   They swarm over and
through the watch, memorizing it.

Then take out the watch, wipe it off.   Get an ounce of pure gold, some
aluminum oxide, titanium, etc.

Drop these raw elements into the nanobot oil.   Two days later, you've
got a duplicate watch, atomically identical.

Congratulations, you've just violated copyright on the original
pocketwatch and diluted the value of all the other antique
pocketwatches in the world.

However, you haven't actually stolen anything, have you?

That's how most people think of warez.   Personally, I find it
karmically poisonous and deeply disturbing.

But I have to admit, it's like the idea of panning for gold or chopping
your own wood.   People love the idea of getting something for nothing.

And of course it's the largest single force that keeps people buying
Windows PCs.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.
--Patrick Henry