[iBook] Re: Used Software/Piracy?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Fri Jan 21 07:39:22 PST 2005

On 1/21/05 10:08 AM, "Brian Olesky" <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Wouldn't a more appropriate analogy be the following: You buy a used car and
> find some CD's the previous owner ripped and left in the glove compartment.
> Do you happily play them even though you yourself didn't buy them, or do you
> throw them away immediately so as not to be a "pirate?"

This is absolutely the last time I'll post on the topic, honest. Interesting
choice of word there isn't it? Honest.

You can pose all kinds of analogies but there *is* a right and wrong.
Keeping the music would be wrong - unless of course I already owned those
CDs. Or is it 'of course'?

Here's a question a student posed last year:

I own a CD which has become scratched and is now unplayable. Am I breaking
the law if I download the mp3s with Kazaa?

Interesting question, isn't it?