[iBook] HD failure????

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Tue Jul 26 04:31:57 PDT 2005

> Both my daughter in law and a good friend (with a new Dell) had hard
> drive failures on the same day last week.  I've owned 6 macs and never
> had that.  Am I just lucky?  (I'm hitting wood with my knuckles as I
> say that), or is that fairly rare?

You have to remember, Dell sells the cheapest computers because they
buy the cheapest components. While drive failures happen on Macs too
(another lister mentioned Travelstar drives), I'd expect them to be
comparatively rare. But they can happen, so you should back up your
home folder regularly.

> And, if they can only get the blue screen, is the material on the
> drive inaccessable?

It's accessible, unless the drive itself got toasted. Usually,
Dozeboxes  blue-screen because of a corrupted registry or other "soft"
errors. Have them press F8 on startup to enter "safe mode" -- they
might be able to clean things up or at least backup the important stuff
before the good ol' nuke&pave. If they can't even get that far, you
might be able to read it on your Mac if you can put it in a Firewire
enclosure. Doze has home directories like OSX, although that's not what
MS calls them, so collecting the important stuff (data files) should be
simple enough.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."