[iBook] external monitor on iBook

Jim Soriano jsoriano at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 15:48:33 PDT 2005

Hi Nancy:

1.  All new iBooks ship with a small video cable that will allow the
iBook to connect to most external monitor's VGA cable.  The external
monitor must support the same 1024 x 768 resolution as the iBook*, or
the image on the external monitor will look "funny".  Most 15" CRT
and LCD monitors support this resolution, have a VGA interface, and
should work well.  They can be purchased online or at almost any
consumer electronics store such as CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

2.  New Apple-branded monitors cannot be used with an iBook, as all
Apple monitors exclusively use an interface called DVI.  Perhaps this
is where the confusion came from, as it is possible the Apple Genius
did not have an iBook compatible monitor to sell at his store.

3.  Every day I use my nearly-new iBook with an external monitor
(Dell) or projector (Sharp) with the VGA cable.  It works well.

Regards,

Jim

*Yes, there is a hack called "ScreenSpanningDoctor" that permits
higher resolutions to be used on most iBook's external monitors.  I
use it daily, but be warned that its use is not supported by Apple
and there is no guarantee it will function on future iBooks models.
Email me off list if you want more information on any of the above.