[iBook] what do you do at night?

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jun 28 16:21:39 PDT 2005

In fact, it's commonly thought that leaving computers on helps extend
their life.

When computers are running, they are warmer than ambient temperature.
Thus, switching them on and off causes 'heat cycles' whereby the
computer heats up (when on), cools down (when off), etc..  this
causes very small amounts of stress in all the components, and could
potentially lead to premature failure.

Having said this, the standard deviation of time to failure is large
enough that you could reasonably conclude that patterns of use of
your computer will have no effect on its life expectancy. (what an
ugly sentence ;-)

(For myself, I never switch my ibook off - but that's for
convenience: It wakes from sleep in less than 1 second, it takes
about 15 seconds to boot ;-)

Take it easy,
-Gus