[iBook] really (dumb?) question about Airport

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 28 21:58:19 PDT 2005

> So I need this help. I understand that my iBook came "with" some
> "Airport" stuff loaded on it. I think that means it just needs the
> "Airport" "station" to plug into the wall, then my iBook can talk
> to that, which will then connect me to the internet? Is this even
> close to being right?

It is if your iBook has actual hardware included -- it's in the form
of a plug-in AirPort card (about the size and shape of a credit
card). If your iBook is a fairly recent model, that probably came
installed. If it's not, it's fairly simple to install yourself.

> I should mention that we have dial-up internet service (again,
> because we live in the boonies on a farm) - with VERY slow dial up
> service. Can I even use "Airport?"

Sure. What you're doing now is dialing up and connecting over a modem
-- what you want to do is, essentially (but not literally), move that
modem from your iBook into a wireless device. You'll still be
connected to the modem and the phone line -- just not physically. (I
had a set-up like this myself for four or five years.)

There may be others, but the only device I'm aware of that includes a
built-in modem -- which is what you want -- is Apple's AirPort Base
Station. It's a bit more expensive, but probably easiest for a novice
to configure.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>
"Yesterday's Books for Today's Reader"