[iBook] really (dumb?) question about Airport

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Wed Jun 29 16:08:22 PDT 2005

> So I need this help. I understand that my iBook came "with" some
> "Airport" stuff loaded on it. I think that means it just needs the
> "Airport" "station" to plug into the wall, then my iBook can talk to
> that, which will then connect me to the internet? Is this even close
> to being right?
>
> I should mention that we have dial-up internet service (again, because
> we live in the boonies on a farm) - with VERY slow dial up service.
> Can I even use "Airport?"

The Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) can have a modem port for
dial-up use -- I say "can" because I think some models don't have it.
Just make sure you have the right one and you'll be all set! The AEBS
is the only wireless hub I know of that has a dialup port, even as an
option. If you have more than one computer, they can share the dialup
connection through the AEBS (works fine until you start downloading
something large).

Don't despair about the boonies -- I live a good ways out of town
myself (you have to drive about 10 miles to get *anywhere*, not
necessarily anywhere interesting), and DSL finally made it out to us
less than two months ago! Can you tell I'm happy about it? ;-)
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."