[iBook] How to prepare computer for sale?

Laura Bruce labruce at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 06:47:11 PST 2005

Thanks everyone for your help re my 12" G4 iBook. My new one with the
60 GB hard drive has now shipped, and I'll soon be handing this one
over to my friend who has agreed to purchase it.

Can you tell me what I should do when I sell it to her? I already
registered the serial number with Apple, for example. Can I transfer
that registration to her?

I know how to deauthorize iTunes, so that's no problem. What about
re-naming the computer for her, the way it has my name on it as the
user? Would love help with this and any other pre-sale preparation.
She doesn't have e-mail or even an ISP so that doesn't need attending
to yet. She'll mostly be using it for word processing.

I'd also like to clear out the programmes she said she won't be using,
in particular the memory intensive ones like Garage Band etc from
iLife '05. Is there a simple way to uninstall? I have never done this
on a Mac. ;) Never needed to. :)

Another thing is, I'd like to get my friend a little present. Are
there any little gift ideas this new iBook user might enjoy? We
already ordered her a Tucano skin and a Philippe Stark mouse. She has
a nice shoulder bag to haul it around in. What else would you suggest?
An LED light that plugs into the USB? (that's a bit cheaper than I was
planning -- but you get the idea -- things experienced iBook users
enjoy.) I am thinking in the £10-40 range.

Thanks!
Laura