[iBook] question about optical drive for a 14" G4

Dennis Reeder dreeder2 at columbus.rr.com
Mon May 30 09:10:41 PDT 2005

Does anybody know if there is a difference between a MATSHITA CD-RW
CW-8123 and MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123C?

I need to replace the optical drive in my 14" G4 iBook.

System profiler calls it a 8123.  So far I have only been able to find
8123c units.  The 8123c units appear to be black.  I couldn't care less
about the color.  But I am not sure if the color is the only difference
between the 8123 and an 8123C.

I guess I am assuming that this Panasonic is the only optical drive
[cd/cdr/dvd] that would work in my iBook.  Am I wrong?  Are all
slimline slotloading cd/cdr/dvd units pretty much the same and/or
interchangeable?

Thanks

Denny