[iBook] Need a job? Don't use a Mac | CNET News.com

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Oct 30 19:50:37 PST 2005

Actually, this problem is bigger than just not supporting Macs. In
fact, this is a problem that's been getting worse since, well, about
1995 or so. I blame WYSIWYG Web publishing software that requires no
knowledge of the underlying code that makes the sites work...I mean,
apart from generating exceedingly sloppy code, these tools, in my
always humble opinion, promote over-all sloppy design with no
knowledge. Anyone can call him/herself a webmaster and yet not know
something as simple as what an alt tag is, as an example. Then, you
get sites optomized for M$IE, which pretty much breaks all the Web
standards. Moreover, you get sites that rely on bloated (sometimes
proprietary) technologies to work without a simple alternative...I'm
thinking here of sites written totally, or nearly totally, in flash;
sites with gratuitous Javascript (not as big a problem as the Flash);
things like that. These are real accessibility nightmares! Sites that
break standards can cause real accessibility headaches for people
with disabilities. Some problems are easily fixed with the addition
of the aforementioned alt tags on graphical links. Others are a lot
more problematic, like the sites that use Flash only for navigation,
links that only work when you move a mouse over them (we don't all
use mice, y'know), and on and on. So, really, it isn't just the Mac
people left out. In a lot of cases, the disabled are, if not left out
completely, faced with a very difficult--and an unnecessarily
difficult--set of computer access problems.

A long time ago in Internet time (I joined the net community in
1991), I saw the net as a great equalizer. We became no more and no
less than our thoughts and the words we used in Email, Usenet, online
virtual worlds, IRC chats, and later, Web forums. We had a world of
information at our fingertips--through telnet services, (y'all
remember those?), archie, gopher, (remember those?) and later, the
emerging WWW. It was an exciting time. Truth is, it's still an
exciting time, and the potential for the net to help level the
playing field is fantastic! Sadly, though, we've found the same
battles to fight in the virtual world as we often have in the real one.