[iBook] Tiger uninstall

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Fri Sep 2 23:40:17 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Tiger has broken a piece of software I need, and I want to roll back to Panther.
There's an option during the install that allows one to 'archive and install'
so that all Applications, User preferences and network settings are preserved.
The problem is that this doesn't work in this instance because the Panther
installer detects that a newer version of the OS (aka Tiger) is installed.

I was thinking that it might be possible to go into Terminal, and selectively
delete parts of the OS, so that the Panther install could go ahead (and I
wouldn't have to reformat the HD).

Has anyone on the list heard success stories coming from such a procedure?

Or, are there any other ways to replace Tiger with Panther without formatting?

Cheers all,
-Angus