[iBook] does ibook have a task manager? - recovering crashed ibook

Robert Eye ra_eye at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 7 16:27:45 PDT 2005

--- Sidar Sahin <sidar.sahin at funpac.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> im a good pc user, but wants to move to mac (i love
> them!)
>
> after some playing with my ibook, it is now crashed.
> (i installed dave, yahoo messenger mp3 player lots
> of programs). ibook g3 366 384 meg ram mac os 9.2.2
>
> this is happening:
>
> 1- after ibook opens, it freezes. i can move mouse,
> but cant click anywhere. also in the task bar it
> says: YAHOO MESSENGER. so i think maybe yahoo is the
> problem, does mac have a   task manager so I can
> close all programs and see what is the problem? like
> ctrl alt delete?

Press the Command-(key just to the left of the
spacebar)-Option-Escape keys at the same time; this
opens up a window allowing you to Force Quit the
current program. Usually works (but not always).

> 2- ok, lets say I cant solve this problem (i cant do
> anything!) so, i want to format my ibook. but I
> cant!
>
> i put mac os 9.2 cd on ibook, boot from cd. opening
> the recover window, but I cant click anywhere!!!
> still says yahoo, and cant click anywhere. so, how
> can I recover this ibook?

How are you booting from the CD? It sounds like the
iBook is still booting from the HD and getting to the
point where it freezes.

You can boot from the CD 2 ways:

1. (Preferred method) Hold down the "C" key while the
iBook starts up from either a cold boot or a restart.
This tells the iBook to boot from a CD if a valid
System is availble

2. Hold down the Command-Option-Shift-Delete keys all
at the same time during start-up; this bypasses the
selected boot volume, sequences through all available
drive locations and boots off the first valid System
found.

Not sure what you mean by "recover window."

Another option is to start with Extensions Off (this
works for starting from the internal HD, no the CD).
You do this by restarting the iBook, and hold down the
Shift key through the boot process. When the MacOS
window comes up during the boot process, you'll see
the phrase "Extension Off;" this deactivates any
extensions added to the main OS. Many times there are
Extension conflicts that cause a problem during start
up. You can then hunt down the offending Extension (or
multiple Extensions) and remove them (sometimes a long
trial-and-error process).

Starting with Extension Off *might* get you through
the boot porocess and allow you to remove the Yahoo
Messenger software (if that's what really causing the
problem). Then reboot/restart.

> best to all, and thanks!
>
> sidar>

Good luck.