[iBook] OS X Panther question re: user management

Jean-Paul Thuot fearsome.orange at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 05:47:51 PDT 2005

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

A long time ago I set up a 'managed' user account for my 7 year old
son on my wife's iBook.  I did this so that he couldn't muck things up
on my wife's account, and yet still play on the computer.  An issue
has arisen, though, that makes me wonder about my choice and whether
there's a way to change it.

First, because it's a managed account he is unable to install
anything.  This is good.  However, I'm finding that I must actually
log into my wife's Admin account in order to install stuff.  Simply
entering her userid and password from within his account doesn't work.
 Often it's a case of the install app being unable to create the
directories it needs.

Now, often, he is unable to play the games that are installed unless
he's using them from my wife's account.  When using them from his
account they will either fail to even launch, or crash unexpectedly
(when trying to write save data? I don't know).

So,  what's the answer?  Can I change permissions on his account, now
that it's been created?  I've looked under accounts, but it doesn't
seem to have this as an option.

Thank you in advance,

Jean-Paul