[iBook] keyboard hunt

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Wed Apr 5 16:52:46 PDT 2006

G'day Bill,

If you really can't find a 'proper' Japanese keyboard, you can probably just
plug in a US keyboard, and tell the Mac to 'map' the keys as though the board
was japanese (I did this when I wanted to write in Swedish on my iBook). This
will be a bit confusing, if you can't touch-type on a Japanese keyboard, but
you might be able to rub out the english letters (on the keys themselves), and
just write the appropriate character in its stead.

There's a nifty little applet that can help you. If you go
System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu
you should be able to 'Show input menu in menu bar' which, among other things,
will allow you to set some keyboard mappings, and display a little onscreen
keyboard. This might help you!

Good luck!
-Angus