[iBook] Installed security update now iBook will not boot

Robert Crawford robertc at clancrawford.us
Thu Aug 10 20:44:19 PDT 2006

 I installed today's security update. now my G3 600mhz 14" iBook, running
10.3.9, will not boot.
I have had several symptoms throughout the day. A couple of times it sat
there for about an hour with a blank screen. It came up several times with
the message to type "mac-boot" ( I may be remembering the syntax wrong) I
tried that, I also tried typing "shut-down" at that point.

Later it came up to my background screen bout would do nothing and go no
further. Now it is sitting there with a OS 9 folder icon in the middle of
the screen and sometimes the icon alternates between a face and a question
mark in the middle of the icon.