[iBook] Wireless printing - now wireless network security

Russ Gorman rusty57 at mac.com
Thu Aug 24 22:24:41 PDT 2006

The pulldown menu for the airport on the menu bar will show you the
various networks available if they are broadcasting an ssid ( a
visible name )
The Apple airport software, if you are using an Airport base station
(regular, extreme or express) has a variety of easy ways to set up
security- the most effective and direct is the use of MAC addresses
which you put in the Access Control pane of the Airport administrator
software.
Each piece of hardware has a hard coded address built in which is
formed of six pairs of numbers and letters like 00:62:d6:b3:94:0d
these are entered into the list of allowed clients and will be the
only machines allowed on your network, with or without a password.
Other less effective ways are WEP and WPA2 which encrypt the
communications between base stations and clients.
The other option available is to not broadcast an ssid. Which means
your network is invisible to snoops like me or anyone else but if you
type in the correct network name and password you will be allowed in.

iStumbler 96(available at www.versiontracker.com)  is an interesting
piece of freeware that allows you to see multiple networks and base
stations easily- you can see what channel all the other networks are
using and choose one for yourself that isn't so crowded.
There's also a widget available called "Airport Radar" that does
similar things.
If you are using a non-Apple wireless node all of these options
should still be available in obscure and convoluted ways ; ) usually
thorough a browser interface of some sort.