[iBook] New (old) iBook

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 29 00:09:20 PDT 2006

Hi Carol-Lynn. I was thinking about you yesterday. Someone was after
RAM for a slot load iMac so I relayed your experiences with RAM
Direct. You wouldn't have any contact details would you?
I have had a look at the caslis pages but I think the Fixit guide is
more detailed and shows the steps better. Probably printing both out
would be quite handy. If bits are not clear in one, you could look at
the other.
If you are using an external drive, I presume it is a Firewire SE
model - sorry but I can't remember the details. If it is not, it will
be terribly slow under USB as they are only 12 mhz on USB compared to
400mhz under Firewire.
As you say, it depends on the convenience you want. If you are using
the 80gb drive from your iMac, it will be a 3.5" and I am not sure if
there are any enclosures around for larger drives that don't need an
external power supply. If the laptop doesn't have a FIreWire
connection, you would always need to plug it in to power from an
external source as USB needs two USB connections - one for power  and
one for data, and the original iBooks only had one - and a very slow
one at that!

RAM is quite easy - you won't have any trouble with that = just
remember usual precautions with RAM - handle the least amount
possible and not by gold edge, and touch the metal inside of the
laptop  when you start.

It is such a shame you are so far away that I can't give you a hand
with it.

I have a big Expo next week where all the 10 schools in the cluster
are coming to the local High School and showcasing what they have
been doing in the Cluster over the last few years. It has built up to
something really big and most of the other schools in the district
are coming along to see what we have been up to. We were hoping to
target the High School staff but their response has been limited. It
is seen as something for only the ICT and Technology Depts. We have
got all sorts of nasty tricks up our sleeve to try and get others
interested. There is a huge organizing committee of one - guess who?
Most things are sorted but I have one or two headaches that are
causing a few sleepless moments. Hopefully it will all be sorted by
next week. Keep in touch re your fun and games with your new toy
Cheers