[iBook] Getting AirPort Working On iBook G3 300 Clamshell

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Mon Dec 11 08:41:43 PST 2006

I am attempting to get AirPort operational on a Clamshell (blueberry)
iBook G3 300 with OS 9 (original) for an elderly friend of mine so
she can get onto our tiny RV park's wireless network. I bought a
little-used original (OEM) AirPort card (802.11b) on eBay),
downloaded and burned to a CD the supporting software (both versions
2.0.2 & 2.04), downloaded and burned OS 9 upgrades (OS 9.0.4, 9.1,
9.2.1, & 9.2.2) from the Apple site, and downloaded and printed
installation instructions (mechanical, not software).

The physical installation of the AirPort card was easy as was the
upgrade to 9.0.4 (the minimum OS needed to operate AirPort), and
AirPort 2.0.2. My intent was to upgrade her to the highest OS 9 and
AirPort software to maximize her old machine's performance on wi-fi.
Her Apple System Profile recognizes her new AirPort card.

When I tried to turn on AirPort, I got a pop-up window stating (to
the effect) "Remote Access software is not installed; check the
Remote Access extensions.". I went to Control Panels and Extensions
Manager and clicked on the Remote Access extension, restarted the
iBook. Nothing. Same message popped up. I went back to control panels
and extensions, but nothing out of the ordinary hit me in the nose.
At that point, I knocked off for the day to do some research. It's
been years since i worked with OS 9 and control panels and
extensions, so my knowledge on OS 9 is fuzzy and I don't know for
certain for what I am looking.

I found nothing really pertinent in Apple's Support site nor on
various Mac forums (most references are for AirPort Base which is not
a factor here) although I now have a couple avenues for my next
approach on her machine later this afternoon. I know I need to look
at her control panels and extensions again, e.g., TCP/IP, Internet,
Remote Access, and Modem Control Panels although I do not remember
seeing any of these my first trip through her computer.

She had a system reinstall a couple years ago and *MAY* have done a
custom install instead of a full install, leaving out the control
panels and extensions related to the internet (I don't know if this
is even possible on a custom install).

She says the system upgrade to 9.0.4 has greatly speeded up her
iBook, so progress is being made.

Before I start my next round with her machine, I would like to know
what I am missing? I do not remember having go go through this song
and dance getting online with my previous Macs which had various 6.x,
7.x, 8.x, and 9.x. I also did not find any one website which had
complete instructions for installing AirPort on an older Mac with OS
9.x. I would upgrade her to OS X if I thought she had enough RAM (she
has 64mb), but I also think OS X might be pushing her machine and her
too far over the learning curve (she's in her 80s).

Advice? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Fred

--