[iBook] Will I be able to take O.S. 9 off my 366MHz. Clamshell?

Gary joehardy at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 05:34:14 PST 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

> On Monday 06 February 2006 08:52 pm, Gary wrote:
>>

>>  My first Mac was a clamshell 300 MHz with 6 gig RAM. It was fun
>> to use.
>
> 6GB hard drive, you mean?

	Of course. Late night typing error.  ;)
> My Blueberry came stock with a 3.2GB drive. It's got
> a 30GB Fujitsu notebook drive in it now. It also has a full 544MB
> RAM: 512 in
> the slot, 32 on the logic board. It was fun to use it in the stock
> configuration, but it's way more fun running it now. ^_^
>

>>> I do need some assistance though. It's got 7.6 GB's  left on it. If
>>> I were to take O.S. 9 off would it free up those GB's ?, & too is
>>> it advisable to remove this O.S. ?
>>
>>  You will not gain much space at all removing OS 9. Leave it there.
>>  The best thing to do is make sure you have the maximum amount of
>> RAM. If you do, then Panther should run fine. Before I sold my
>> clamshell I had it running 10.2 (Jaguar) really well.
>
> Panther is very happy under my current specs. I have heard tell
> that Tiger is
> also quite speedy on an older machine using either X Post Facto or
> doing the
> installer disk remastering trick. The only thing stopping Tiger from
> installing on New World Macs that don't have firewire is a
> little .plist
> which has the forbidden system IDs in it. I'm sticking with Panther
> though,
> because it seems to be more stable than Tiger on the low end, and it's
> compatible with almost everything I need to run on it. Well, almost
> everything. Curse Google Maps and its insistence on running under
> Tiger! Bah!

	Sure it won't be able to do everything, but what it does, it does
well. I can't run Tiger yet on my 700 MHz G3 iMac because it doesn't
have a DVD drive and I haven't ordered Tiger on CD yet. Doesn't
matter. All my common programs run just fine in Panther.

Gary