[iBook] Running windows on iBook

David/Jeanie Lyle dlyle at sc.rr.com
Tue Jan 10 07:42:22 PST 2006

I've had an iBook G4 (1.33 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM; Mac X 10.3.9)  for the
past year and am still making adjustments in switching from Windows PC to
Mac.  (My desktop is a Dell PC with Windows XP).  'Not an easy task to make
big changes at 50!  However.... I've also returned to the university to
begin a second career and have 3 semesters left before graduating with a BS
in Nursing.  The problem I'm encountering is that all of the educational cd
roms that come with textbooks, drug books, NCLEX review books, etc. are for
Windows only.  I was about to break down and purchase a PC laptop but
someone mentioned Virtual PC to me.  Then I read about Guest PC, also.  'Any
experience with either Windows emulator?  Do you recommend?  I'm confused
about the purchase of Virtual PC. Since I already have a Dell desktop and my
husband has a Dell laptop (both came with Windows installed on them) does
that qualify as a licensed copy of Windows so that I can get by with the
$129 purchase for Virtual PC instead of having to purchase with windows XP?
If not.. The Guest PC is much cheaper, but will it work well enough to run
my other programs?
I'd like to hold off on purchasing a new computer until much later when the
new Mac laptop with intel hits the market.  Another friend advised waiting
until Leopard comes out.  I have much to learn about this new world of Mac!
(studying nursing takes up all of my time, so I've just been "winging it"
with figuring out the little Mac).
Please help with advice.  Thanks!  Jeanie